Thread: gas tank goo
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 06:52 PM   #1
wingski

Default gas tank goo

When I bought my "29 cabriolet, the previous owner told me there was sediment in the gas tank. I wasn't surprised because every old car I've owned that had sat with an empty gas tank for a long time developed rust on the inside of the tank. He demonstrated how the A would start and run for a short period before starting to miss. He said that he had found that by draining the gas in the tank and putting fresh gas in the A, it would start and run until the sediment caused it to start to miss. I've found this to be true, but this car has the sediment bowl without a pumis filter and in-line filters for each of the carbs. I'll include a picture. You would think that the filters would take care of sediment for a longer period than it takes for the engine to start to miss. So, I removed the gas cap flashed a light into the tank. There was goo covering most of the bottom of the tank. I'll include a picture, but it isn't that good. My question is: should I take a wet/dry shop vac and try to suck the goo out while it is still wet or should I let it dry and try to vacuum it out when it becomes who knows what. I hope it doesn't harden. I figure that someone put something into this tank to clean it, and it turned to goo. I remember from years gone bye that they used to use acid on old tanks, but I don't want acid anywhere around my new toy. Help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gas tank - for ford barn.jpg (334.1 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg engine for ford barn.jpg (427.9 KB, 232 views)
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote