View Single Post
Old 08-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #29
31pickup650

Default Re: 1931 Pickup Journal

I took the Model A for its first test drive today. It went roughly how I expected it. I replaced all the seals inside the carburetor and the manifold gasket. It definitely seemed to help. It didn't stall when I went from revving the engine to not putting any throttle in. While driving, it backfired pretty badly under load. The radiator boiled over after about a mile when I turned around. There was a lot of dirt that came out so I guess another flush or two might be in order. Would the timing being out be enough to cause it to backfire that badly? I tried checking it myself, but I couldn't feel the pin going in on the cam gear. I am going to have a friend turn the engine while I feel for it. As for the radiator, I am planning on doing the flush with vinegar, based on what I've read, and then using distilled water with Water Wetter once it's all clean. It also still seems to be running a bit lean. A quick pull on the choke seems to help when it is about to stall. When I had the carburetor apart, I checked to see if turning the choke control valve makes any adjustment on the carb. The place that it attaches to on the carb doesn't twist at all. I guess this is the way it is on the Model B carb? Thanks.

1931 Model A Pickup
My Model A : https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173024
31pickup650 is offline   Reply With Quote