View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
Badpuppy

Default Re: 6V regulator challenges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford SA View Post
Good day All,
I'm currently assisting in renovating a Model A (1931) and looking for a solution to regulate the 6V in order to power some 6V indicator LEDs.

I have fitted the LEDs and all works fine when the engine is switched off (stable 6V), but when the engine is running the generator supply fluctuates between 7.5 and 8V, and this input to the LEDs causes them to flicker at a very inconsistent unstable rate.

I've tried to remedy by fitting a condenser but with no joy.

I have also tried using a variable voltage regulator to stabilize the LED supply at 6V, but found that it doesn't work as the vehicle has a Positive Earth/ground.

And the best place to pick up -6V is from the tail light wire. Then your indicators will light whenever the light switch is operated.

So my next challenge is to either find a converter of sorts the change the polarity of the input to the voltage regulator (has a Negative Earth) or find a 6V voltage regulator with a Positive Earth.
Perhaps someone knows of an alternate solution? or any other suggestions?
Thanks
The lights must be connected to a solid ground; you can't use the ignition switch for grounding as it is interrupted by the distributor points.

Actually, you can use your regulator if you can isolate the LEDs from chassis ground. Simply observe correct polarity on both sides of the regulator.

And the best place to pick up -6V is from the tail light wire - the indicators will light whenever the lights switch is operated.

Last edited by Badpuppy; 09-11-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote