View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 03:07 PM   #34
Dave in MN

Default Re: T-5 5 speed trans VS Mitchell overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
Railcar, I am not wanting to argue anybody's point. I do not drive a stock car any more. Just curious as to how you got your 80 hp. My 31 coupe with a F150 tranny is about 55hp and the other , Woody, is somewhere in the 60 to 65 range with a stock trans and a Mitchell 26%. I would like to put more hp in the woody
Ken, You ask how to produce 80 HP without an overhead valve head. 80 HP is my goal for a touring car I am building up. I am currently dyno breaking in a B block that has full oil pressure and is equipped to produce in excess of 80 HP.

Build Spec: Lion Speed Head III that is milled .074", intake valve pockets are relieved (see photo below), the cylinder to head clearance is .030" and all sharp edges in the combustion chamber have been rounded with emery cloth to eliminate any hot spots.
Camshaft is a Stipe IB 340 with bronze/steel gear set from Dan McEachern, solid stop on the cam plunger yet maintains the stock plunger spring, oil piped to spray the cam gear through a #58 drill size orifice. Stipe high capacity oil pump with multiple pressure relief valves to accurately control the oil pressure. Cold oil pressure: Idle 35 psi, 2800 rpm: 55 psi. Warm oil pressure: Idle 19 psi, 2800 rpm 50 psi. Oil passages from the oil galley to the mains increased in diameter and other passages restricted per Jim Brierly's book: 4- bangers! And me!
Crankshaft modified for full oil to mains and rods, thrust moved from rear main to front journal using radial bearing sets. (see photo below) Small block Chevy rear main seal.
Valves are 1.530" straight stem, one pc. guides, rotators on the exhaust valve only and .125" spacers (thick washers) between the top of the springs and the roof of the valve chamber.
No porting of the block. Cast iron exhaust header (Snyder's)
Scalded Dog Intake with Single Stromberg 97, currently set up with standard jets and power valve.

I only have about 45 minutes on this engine and it is creating 145 ftlb of torque at 2800 rpm. This equals 77+ HP. Corrected HP = 81.6
I will be adding another 97 carb when a dual downdraft manifold and a FSI distributor arrive next week. From past experience, on previous engines, I expect to increase the output to about 86 HP with these changes at 2800 rpm. Update: FSI distributor added 1.5 HP.
The torque is not dropping off much up to 3200 rpm but I don't care what it makes at that point because I am building this engine for a touring car and won't be operating in that range. I will make a couple dyno pulls up to 3200 rpm next week just to see what it will do and expect it will produce in excess of 90 HP.
You can produce the same power or more with an A block with proper porting, larger valves and the equipment I describe above.

I guess we are a bit off track from the T-5 topic of this thread so to bring it back in the right direction, this engine will be coupled to an open drive shaft T-5 transmission in a '31 S/W Town Sedan.
I am having fun in my shop here in Minnesota!
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 09-04-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote