View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #26
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Q: 34 Diff: torque on housing/ pinion preload etc.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
One thing I forgot to mention- I used an aftermarket ring and pinion and had a hell of a time getting the pre-load right on the pinion. It would be loose, I would tighten up on the nut and the outer bearing would jump and the preload would be too tight. It turned out that only the inner bearing should be a tight press fit and the outer bearing should barely be a press fit. The aftermarket pinion had the same diameter for the full length of the shaft causing the problem. I should have taken just a wee bit off where the second bearing sits.
Yes Pete, this is an issue. The aftermarket R&Ps that the Early Ford V8 Sales has manufactured (in Italy I believe) are a quality product, but they did not follow the Ford design exactly as they should have. On the Ford pinion, the outer bearing surface is about .0005 to .001 smaller - which makes it possible for the outer (adjusting) bearing to move as you tighten/loosen the nuts. I just miced things this weekend and saw that.

So, I took a brake cylinder hone and honed the inner portion of the outer bearing such that it does not have to be pressed onto the pinion - it will gently tap on with a brass hammer. This allows it to move back/forth such that the preload can correctly be set. I can see no reliable way to set the preload unless the pinion or a bearing is modified. Having to press on the outer bearing is a real problem (as it is currently manufactured).

If I happened to have a precision crank grinder at home - would have done it that way!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote