Thread: Clutch Chatter
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
Old Henry

Default Re: Clutch Chatter

I just did all the same plus had my flywheel resurfaced and trued and new transmission mount to try to get rid of the chatter I had. Still bad chatter. It doesn't get any better over time.

I have to engage the clutch a different way than when it worked right. I start with higher engine RPM's then engage the clutch a bit faster than without chatter. The chatter is at lower RPM's so I get the car moving slightly by letting the clutch slip at high RPM's then let it engage all the way while letting the RPM's drop to get past the chatter point quickly. To move short distances at very low speed, like pulling into the garage from stopping in the driveway to let the door open, I use higher RPM's and slip the clutch all the way in.

You'll soon find the exact point in the relationship between RPM and chatter and learn to avoid that or get through that point quickly.

That's what works for me.

Funny thing is that I have virtually no chatter in reverse????

I had no chatter before replacing the pressure plate and clutch disc and having the flywheel resurfaced last June. A word to the wise: If you have no chatter, DO NOT mess with the clutch unless it's totally worn out!! The clutch is definitely a thing that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Last edited by Old Henry; 04-26-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote