View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 08:37 AM   #17
GOSFAST

Default Re: Rebuilt motor start up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
OK, putting the motor in the car to run it is not a problem.
One thing I must check before I do that is the bellhouse indexing.
To do that, I have to hand turn the motor.
I'm being told not to do that because it'll wipe the lube off the cam lobes.
The motor would have to be spun a minimum of two times, one to get the numbers and one to check after adjusting.
If I install the motor in the car and drive it, I run the risk of destroying the input shaft bearing...again. I don't want to do that.
I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks everyone.
Hi Joe, I'm telling you, it would work fine indicating that hsg on ANY other 8BA block, it will work.

Done this hundreds of times on the "stick" Chevy's we've done. If you indicate a scattershield on any "stock" Chevy block, NOT an aftermarket one (SB's and BB's are the same), and then use it on still another block later on, you'll be safe, believe me!

But here's the "catch", we've never used any offset dowel pins or stepped ones to locate the new shield on any builds, nor have we "redrilled" new holes for any larger pins, we simply used the Lakewood "welded-washer" setup on each housing. You would indicate the hsg to the designated block using the indicator and the bolts to "center" it then weld the washers to the hsg while in position on the block. There was clearance, usually about .010"/.015" between the hsg pin holes and the existing dowels. This method allowed that same hsg to fit other OEM blocks without having to go all through it again! It works, we've probably done a couple hundred over the years! Lakewood G.M kit photo below only for comparison.

Now, for the initial firing, prime the entire unit, 4 qts of oil, with an external priming tank, leave the "grub" screw OUT (not in, good catch below here guys) this means no filter during the fire-up, and wrap it up. After it's all broken in, INSTALL the "grub" screw and plumb in the filter! Should be fine!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a shot of the Chevy setup I'm speaking about, for the Flathead you'd need to make a couple "weldable" washers. once those washers are tacked/welded to that hsg it will now fit other OEM blocks with no issues, been there, done it! If you happen to need "longer" Flathead pins that's not a real problem either, the pins would be "straight", same diameter as the factory pins to fit the block, no offsets! Indicate the hsg, weld the washers in place, done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lakewood Bellhousing Indexing Locaters.jpg (54.4 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by GOSFAST; 01-13-2020 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Correct info (again)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote