View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 01:54 AM   #3
johnh7

Default Re: Will all Veterans please arise.

Craig,

I am a veteran of two wars. I spent a year in Vietnam (1969 – 1970) with USMC Recon. I was a Corporal (E-4) in Vietnam, but was promoted to Sergeant (E-5) before I was honorably discharged stateside in early 1973. I served for four years.

I also spent four tours (years) in Iraq between 2005 - 2010. I did investigations for Army Intelligence. I was required to wear the Army uniform and had a GS-15 rating. I was embedded with the Army and lived where they lived. I went on missions based on information I developed on terrorist units. It was much like being a police officer again. I kicked doors and took people to jail. I was treated as a Lt Colonel which was much different than how I was treated in Vietnam.

The most surprising thing to me during my time in Iraq was in 2008 while on a mission one of the soldiers asked me if I had ever been in the service and I told him I had been in the Marine Corps. He asked me what I did and I told him I was in Recon. He asked me if I was in Vietnam and I told him I spent a year in Vietnam with Recon. He said, “No shit, you were in Recon”? I told him I was. From that point on I was really treated with respect. I didn't think my time in Recon 38 years earlier would mean anything to them, but they all made a big deal out of it. That same day when I returned to the S-2 shop (Intelligence Office) the Captain met me and said, “No shit, Marine Corps Recon?” I smiled and said, “No shit”. The information had beat me back to the TOC. It still amuses me that it meant so much to them. I had not even mentioned it on my first tour in Iraq and wouldn’t have mentioned it on that tour either, but the gunner in the Humvee asked me.

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote