View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #28
daveymc29

Default Re: Timing indicators, do you use them?

I use the timing pin to get me to the TDC on number 1. Then with a mirror and flashlight ascertain that the recess in the timing gear is indeed in the center of the hole. Then I make three marks, one on the pulley and two that line up with the one on the pulley so anytime I wish to find TDC I can get really close with the crank. If I had to do it on the road I'd do it as quickly as possible and get out of harms way, then recheck with my light and mirror later. Once you know TDC it is very easy to get reasonably close until you're back in your work area, or Motel, whatever. I set the rotor to where the heel of the rotor is opposite the number one lug on the distributor body at full retard and tighten it down, then drive away with the spark advanced until there is no improvement in running. When I get home or to the night lodging I test with my timing light. Usually it is good, but if I slipped and it needs improvement I can re-find TDC very quickly and carefully cure what ails it. Works for me and several I have helped. Not for the purist on their show cars, mine are all drivers only. Some more so than others.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote