View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 06:53 AM   #7
Dave in MN

Default Re: Sound deadening and Insulation Materials

I am in the process of installing X-Mat available from Eastwood. The material lays in very easy. I just painted the body and find that a rag with a little lacquer thinner on it to final wipe the interior surface really makes the product stick. The lacquer rag removes any accumilated dust.

One box did 90% of the outer panels and entire firewall. I have a second box to finish and should have enough to do all of the floor except under the rear seat.

I plan to add light weight foil faced thermal insulation to the walls and roof before installing the interior and top material. I will use 3-M 77 High strength contact adhesive on the walls and will "sew" the material to the bottom of the chicken wire in the roof. I don't think adhesive would hold the material in the roof so I will be using cotton "chalk line" (strong) and a plastic yarn needle. I will cut strips to fit between the roof ribs.

UPDATE: I added two photos showing the two layers of foil faced insulation. Note the cotton cord stitching on the roof insulation (partially completed) to keep it tight against the chicken wire. I also installed one layer of the foil faced insulation in the four doors. The 1/4" thickness is not even close to interfering with the window or lock mechanisms.

Hoping the extra material and work is worth the effort. I will report back when I get the car on the road this summer.

Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 03-14-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote