View Single Post
Old 11-30-2020, 01:03 AM   #26
KULTULZ

Post Re: I’m getting close to trying to start my 1956 bird after a lonnnnng ordeall

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuburg View Post

I apologize for coming back with so many questions. I think I am following you but want to be sure.
No need to apologize.

Quote:
When you say "Heated air is drawn into the original choke mechanism of the carburetor by intake manifold vacuum" are you talking about drawing the heated air up through the outlet tube from the heat tube in the intake?

My photo points to the thing I described as "vertical tube that is right under the left part of the choke". Is this where the outlet tube connected to the heat tube attaches to? It sounds like you suggest leaving this open in case it helps prevent the electric choke from overheating?

Here's the final plan as I understand it:

1. Plug both holes on the intake at each end of the heat tube.
2. Plug the grommet hole at the left front of the carb.
3. Leave the vertical tube under the choke open?
4. Install the electric choke.

This will all be pretty easy and not take that much time.
Let's try this again. Fresh air is drawn into the left cross-over tube opening by engine vacuum, that vacuum originating within the choke housing. The air is heated within the cross-over tube and that heated air is drawn into the choke mechanism to supply heat to the choke thermostat (brown cap).

If the cross-over tube (9890) is not perforated with rust, it can be left alone as no exhaust gases from the intake manifold exhaust gas cross-over passage will enter the tube. If the cross-over tube is rusted, you will have to block the tube on either end as you will be leaking exhaust at the intake and outlet tube openings.

The air intake on the choke housing should be blocked off as to not permit a vacuum leak or ingesting unfiltered air. Depending on electric choke design, they may recommend a brass fitting containing a mesh filter to somewhat filter incoming air and to prevent the choke thermostat from over heating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CHOKE.jpg (71.0 KB, 7 views)

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...

Last edited by KULTULZ; 11-30-2020 at 01:12 AM. Reason: ADD PHOTO
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote