View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 07:56 PM   #17
29 woody

Default Re: 1928 Bill of Sale from NJ and converting it to a new title- NJ DMV advice needed

I live in NJ and have had to jump through hoops to title several vehicles here. I have had to provide tracings, photos and even copies of the previous owner's DL (had to drive back out of state to get a copy of that one). NJ is not a vehicle owner friendly state.

The USUAL way to obtain a vehicle title in NJ without a previous title (but with a bill of sale) is:

1. the vehicle must be from a non-title, bill of sale state only. (several states do not provide titles on older cars-NJ must honor that)
2. you must then have a notorized bill of sale in your name WITH a valid (usually transferable) registration from the previous owner.

I have bought several vehicles this way including my '29 Woody this past summer (had to provide a tracing too).

Anyway, a friend of the family titled an old Chevy in NJ with only a bill of sale about three years ago. He did not have a current registration for the vehicle. As mentioned above, he had to go through the main DMV in Trenton and file lots of paperwork, photos and tracings. He also placed the required ads in newspapers prior to the title being issued. However, the main difference I see is that he had a notorized bill of sale from the seller to him. That enabled him to prove he bought it legally.

You can call the main Trenton DMV (
609.292.6500) and speak with a representative. They will direct you to the proper title department. Last year I had to get title paperwork for a reconstructed vehicle (Meyers Manx SR). I believe they switch me to the foreign title unit even though it wasn't regarding a foreign title. However, they mailed me a large packet containing specific instructions and the forms required.

Unfortunately, I am not sure that an open
and notarized bill of sale dated from May, 1928 will work. I think the date will be the main issue (unless you are roughly 100 years old and could have actually purchased the car in '28)

Good luck. I hope it works out for you!!
29 woody is offline   Reply With Quote