View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: front wheel bearing adjustment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
A rocky mountain front brake drum had a broken hub at the national meet a couple years ago. The outer bearing race split and broke out that portion of the hub from being too tight. I took a picture, but can't find it right now.

If you want to use a torque wrench and preload the front bearing, be sure it's an INCH pound torque wrench and stop at 5 to 15 inch pounds.
But was it really too tight, Tom, or maybe NO repacking for 11 years or maybe cheep grease, or maybe some oooold tired bearings were used??? If proper preloading caused burn outs, modern cars would be droppin' like FLYS on the roadways! Example: Earlier Volvo manuals specified, 60FT LBS while turning the wheel, and back off 1/6 of a turn, or 1 castellation. I never remember what the final torque was equal to. Jaguar specified 120 INCH LBS, while turning the wheel & leave it there! Without the proper specs for a particular car, I tighten them 60 INCH LBS (5 FT LBS) while turning the wheel. I don't just "TALK THROUGH MY HAT" as I've been doin' this crap for EONS, seems like. Took a long time to learn things that WORK & things that DON'T WORK! Bill W.