View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #5
hardtimes

Default Re: Tapped Steam Hole Plug Size Model B block

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Don View Post
I recently purchased a 30 phaeton that came with a model B block. I took off the head and cleaned off the old copper gasket adhesive. I now have a clean block and head, however I read that you are supposed to fill the steam holes on the B block in order to avoid issues down the road.

I have searched on here and even purchased some model A manuals but can't seem to find a definitive answer as to what size hole I need to tap the steam holes to. I bought some 5/16" x 1/4" - 24 set screws and plan on drilling, tapping and screwing those in there (as long as this size is correct), then filling in whatever is left of the hole with JB weld and sanding it smooth. I plan on doing this in all 4 steam holes.

Am I on the right track? Any advice for drilling into the block to get the straightest hole possible (minus pulling the engine apart and putting it into a mill or drill press)? I obviously want to get this done right the first time around to avoid ruining something and figured I'd ask on here to get a more knowledgeable answer, or see if there is anything I may have missed?

Any advice or links to good articles on the matter would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,
Gordy
Hey Gordy,
As far as drilling 'to get the straightest' hole, I just changed heads...to keep busy, and drilled/plugged/filled as you indicate that you are into.
My 'paws' are pretty messed up and shaky and I did the job with engine in and ready to run with different head. Simple job.
IF you are lucky, you might have a whole quarter inch +/- of cast iron to drill thru. Even I could keep the bit approximatey vertical for a 1/4" or so.

I ran the screws down just below surface and put JB smear with putty knife.

The one 'tip' that I would give / do and did do...is to place a magnet around the drilled area. That way, I picked up ALL of the cut cast iron..easily. I was fortunate enough to have a DONUT shaped powerful magnet and it worked perfect. But, any magnet will do. My plugs were the 'pipe plug' shape/thread and tightened well the further screwed in. I used blue locktite also, but probably not needed. Good luck

BTW...sometimes I'm overly cautious. I also taped over the cyl holes with masking tape..your choice.

Last edited by hardtimes; 08-12-2017 at 01:37 PM. Reason: ............
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote