View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 02:03 AM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Old Timey Bulk Oil Dispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
The two fingers were part of Kendall's advertising from the early '50's, as I recall. The slogan that went with it was "Kendall-the 2,000 mile oil". Standard pracrice was to change oil every 1,000 miles so Kendall must be twice as good! Interestingly, the owner's manual for my 1940 Ford recommends 2,000 mile oil changes for cars without an oil filter and 5,00 miles (!) if you had the optional filter!
Thanks, 40 Deluxe,
That helps me date it somewhat. It came from a closed shop in Porterville, Ca. about a year ago & is in pristine condition.
Your Flagstaff area holds a special place in my memories from many Route 66 trips in the 40's & 50's! I can smell the pines and feel the crisp cool air, sometimes patches of snow,WOW!
Chief, my dad, never sang around home, but when going through Flagstaff area, he would stare down the road with a look that was a thousand miles away and sing, "In the pines, in the pines, where the sun never shines, and you shivver when the cold winds blow." Man! I got goose bumps just remembering. I found all the song lyrics on the net.
Sorry I'm rattling so much, I'd be dangerous if I could type. Buster, my Rat Terrier said I should hire a cute redhead to type & cook, then I could write BOOKS & BOOKS of stuff! (Dog is smart!) Bill W.