View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 02:20 PM   #7
Smooth_One

Default Re: Electronic ignition advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
'Should' is the operative word here. Perfect world scenarios often counter 'real world situations'.

To the original poster, I have warrantied about as many of these as I have installed. Not all were the fault of the electronics however they still failed and rendered the vehicle inoperable.

If you find yourself messing with a Kettering points system, you likely have an issue elsewhere (bad distributor cam, loose base plate, excessive humidity, weak/faulty points, etc.). These cars went many, many miles with a points ignition system without trouble. When trouble did arise, a quick wipe of the contacts, and a check of the gap was all that was needed. I can tell you first-hand, that if the module fails (-and they do) then you either need to have a spare module to get you home, or someone else to bring you home.

One other thing to realize, the electronic ignition does NOT give a hotter spark. That is related to your coil. Today, the quality of replacement parts for the original style ignition systems are of such that there is not any performance advantage with the electronic ignition these days.
Thank you for the wise words. And I did know that it would not produce a hotter spark just because I install this. They do make a hotter coil that go along with the modern distributor As you all know but I am definitely not looking for that.