View Single Post
Old 06-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
Garagekulture13

Default Holley 94 on 1953 Ford

I have read several post, articles, and videos on the subject of the 94 but still am a bit confused. I have a 1953 Ford Customline flathead V8. The car is new to me but the previous owner said he rebuilt the carb. He didn't say why he did. However he did mention that it easily floods out on startup. So when I got the car home it smelled to be running super rich and oil spelled of gas. I changed the plugs and oil immediately after I got it. Just a few miles around the block and the plugs are black again. I could see black smoke from the exhaust. Almost like suet from a torch. (Maybe not that bad, lol). So I started trouble shooting. I found that the carb was setup to have some slight choke all the time. When I fixed that the car would no longer idle. Right now I have the idle mixture screws set half a turn out and the car will idle. Vacuum reading at the intake is 18 to 19 steady. Right now it is still running the blackened plugs but about to change them again. I don't trust the rebuilt carb situation so I ordered a new Edelbrock 94. My thinking was I'll just throw a new carb on and go but after some research I found that the Edelbrock not having the spark control valve could negatively affect the advancing of the distributor. Any insight you all my have would be very much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Garagekulture13 is offline   Reply With Quote