View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 03:26 PM   #12
Kilroy

Default Re: Newly assembled Flatty cranking force??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
An assembled V8 engine should not take excessive force to turn over with the spark plugs removed. If it is HARD to turn over, look for the reason. As Ron said, seals and rings are the main culprit on a new engine... but if it is truly hard to turn over, start looking for interference or bad machine work. Crack one main cap loose, and try again. Re-tighten, and crack another loose... and finally the third. Go through this same scenario with the rods. If cracking anything loose frees the assembly up, then you've found the root of the issue.

Cracking any of those fasteners loose should have ZERO affect on how hard it is to turn the engine over. There is bearing CLEARANCE. Bearings should be touching nothing but a film of oil. Sometimes, bearing clearance can be zero or less with bad machine work or the wrong bearings.

Was there issue installing the pistons/rings? Remember back, and see if you can recall any issues upon installing any of the pistons/rings. Look for scratches/marks in the cylinder that would indicate a mis-installed oil ring, etc.

Point is, there should NOT be excessive drag when turning an engine over without spark plugs. If there is, find it now.

Good Luck
No issue with the rings. The gaps were all right on and they slid right in with no problem. If anything, it kind of freaked me out how smooth it all went. So I double checked everything.

After I installed the crank, it spun on the assembly lube with minimal resistance.

After hearing Ron's numbers, I think I'm OK at 46 lbs with the spark plugs installed.

Last edited by Kilroy; 05-31-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote