Thread: Summit racing
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #11
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: Summit racing

I ALWAYS recommend a return line when using electric fuel pumps. They work much better, last longer and run cooler when they can circulate the fuel. They are not usually happy when 'dead headed' and pumping at full force with no circulation.

I use dedicated 'return style' regulators on the Mustang. Mallory #4309. These have four 3/8 NPT ports on the top... one is used as the input, the other three as outlets... and the return is out the bottom. Very simple design, and allows the pump to work at the lower psi and circulate the fuel. The pumps also operate MUCH more quietly this way.

The old Holley regulators can also be rigged up as a return style.

When using a modern, high pressure EFI fuel pump, the return style is often about the only thing that will work. Many modern racing fuel pumps have returns built in to the pumps, themselves. There is a hose right out of the pump that goes back to the tank.

Good Luck
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote