View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #11
Pilotdave

Default Re: Opening Cowl Lights

After a phone call with Norm, I've opened both cowl lights. Both appear to be set up in the early 1930 style mentioned above. Here are two photos. One shows the bracket that snaps into the bezel, clamps the reflector in place, and is attached at the back of the light case with a short screw. The other shows the power lead attached to the bulb with solder. There is no socket in either light. One of the lenses is labeled "Twolite" and the other has no labeling. Neither case has the tab at the top for the bezel to hang from.

So some of the parts are from the early 1930 era while others are (perhaps) from the later 1930-1931 period - or just missing.

I'm wondering if I can add sockets to these lights using those I see in the catalogs. They wouldn't be riveted to the case as that's where the screw that attaches to the bracket comes through. I've considered converting these to the 1931 style, but that would get complicated.....might be more practical to replace the lights.

I'm interested to know whether these parts are indeed the early 1930 style and in any input on adding sockets as described above.

Thanks very much!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cowl Light 2.jpg (35.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Cowl Light 1.jpg (33.2 KB, 32 views)
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote