View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #1803
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

We finally got back into the garage to play yesterday, Don, Mike and Art came over and we got a bunch of work done on Don's '50 rag top. I messed with the '39 LZ, so I could fire her up, only to discover that the battery wouldn't hold a charge... so, we went for PIZZA... This morning I decided to pull the wiper motor out of the LZ to see if I could get it to work again. I cleaned it up and tested it using the vacuum from the '51 F-1. The unit is back to working well. I reinstalled the unit only to discover that the original wiper switch will not work with this unit (no wonder someone had removed the original switch and relocated an after-market cable to operate the wiper motor). I went to the handy Ford Service Bulletin book (thanks again to Bill Wzorek) only to discover that the wiper motor in the Zephyr is not an OEM unit... Actually, this unit looks much more substantial than the LZ unit. This unit was made by the Anderson Company of Gary, Indiana, it has an adjustable wiping arc. Other markings on it include; Anco MAXI-VAC model MV-3.

In typical Ford fashion, the Service Bulletin does not list individual part numbers for the wiper motors, just a SUBJECT NO. 17508 to identify the wiper motor in the Ford, Mercury, Lincoln Zephyr and Lincoln Model K, even though they are all different. Unfortunately, I don't have a part number for the OEM '39 LZ wiper motor. If any of you have a good part number and/or a source for the correct wiper motor, I would really appreciate it.