View Single Post
Old 05-26-2023, 11:05 PM   #9
Fairlanephantom

Default Re: Replacing motor mounts in a 56 passenger car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
The '54 thru '56 Y-blocks all used the same side mounts as you have pictured. These same mounts were also used on '57 and '58 Y-blocks and on some cars with FE engines.
None of the '54 thru '58 cars frames have offset holes in the motor mount bracket, but the holes are slotted for ease of installation and alignment.
Motor mounts with offset studs must be for a different car.
You have the right motor mounts, but I don't like those bottom studs with the thread that stops too far from the base. You may need to add washers under the frame bracket to get the mounts tightened down.
Don't understand what you are talking about with the oil pressure fittings. The original setup has a white wire with red band connected to the oil sending unit, which can be disconnected at the bullet connector near the firewall above the engine, but you don't need to do anything with that.
If you have removed the engine-to-mount bolts and the bottom nuts from the motor mount, that should be the only thing holding it down.
Thanks for the follow up, Dave. You're correct that the perches are vertically slotted for installation.

That's interesting that the mounts may not be stock. I'm trying to figure out if the variance is from different mounts used or if it's the same mounts that got bent over time. As I mentioned, used mounts online seem to be offset, but that's kind of silly if people are selling bent mounts. I do still have the front steady rest, so I feel it maybe isn't a case of them getting bent as that still aligns with the vertical hole to the front cross member. Some remove that rest, but I'd rather keep it considering the consensus is that some feel the 56 frame wasn't too stable.

The oil pressure fitting I mentioned is for the typical after market voltage, oil, temp gauge cluster that was added under the dash. You'll be able to see that in the picture below. You're thinking about the sending unit for the stock light on the dash.

I've also attached pictures of the driver side with the new mount versus the passenger side that still has the old mount. You can see it's at least a half inch difference.

There were washers before, but also a plate between the mount and bracket.

The last picture is one I see an example of online that someone is supposedly selling 54-58 mounts that appear to also have offset holes.

I appreciate the help, I know half of this work is deciphering the work done to them over the decades.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230526_232653_001.jpg (63.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20230526_232731_001.jpg (47.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20230526_232806.jpg (44.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20211114_170156.jpg (48.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (48.6 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Fairlanephantom; 05-26-2023 at 11:12 PM.
Fairlanephantom is offline   Reply With Quote