Thread: plating
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Craig Lewis

Default Re: plating

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_king View Post
Thanks for sharing first hand experience. Did you buy the rectifier from them and what amperage?
I tried several power supplies from plug-in wall adapters to batteries. In the end my best results have been from an old battery charger with a reostat to control the amperage.
After burning up a couple wire-wound reostats(they're hard to find) ....I finally just stretched out a coil spring and wired it in series with the whole mess. I move the aligator clip up and down the spring till the battery charger reads my correct amperage. The spring still gets hot...just like the reostat...but so far it seems like the answer.
Idealy you want to find a variarc as the ultimate power supply...but I haven't got that lucky yet.

One last thing ... you'll also need to setup a copper tank if you do nickel. Copper is your filler and primer.
Copper plating requires a seperate list of materials, all which I purchased seperately.
The Caswell big yellow manual includes basic copper instructions. You definately need that manual and one should keep some notes regarding time & amperage in order to get consistant results.
I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S7301907.jpg (77.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg S7301880.jpg (61.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg S7301886.jpg (72.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg S7301912.jpg (65.1 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Craig Lewis; 03-09-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote