View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 06:37 PM   #39
KULTULZ

Question Re: New baby 1953 Merc

The main problem is people believing information that was current in the fifties. It would be akin to a brain surgeon relying on medical information from the fifties.

It is not that hard to figure.

Original manufacturers licenses have expired FORD-GM-MOPAR-FOREIGN) (except for FORD TYPE F) and you have snake oil peddlers saying one fluid fits all. Nothing farther from the truth. As for a trans shop, one may have completely different thoughts and experiences from another. Most draw fluid from a single drum except for current tech (hopefully).

The fluid being discussed here (CHEVRON in this case) is a fluid that is neither DEXRON (GM) or FORD (MERCON) exact but a blend that will hopefully work in either application.

None are licensed and/or approved by auto manufacturers. FORD used GM A and DEXRONS until 1959 when they began to blend their own.

It is either that are go to approved back fill synthetics. If it will be a complete flush and just not add or pan drop, I would go with the synthetic. But that is just me, your mileage may vary.

TYPE F was a culmination of oils produced by FOMOCO beginning in 1959 and ending with TYPE G and H.

I feel sorry for the OP also. But chances are the trans is due for a rebuild anyway.

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 06-19-2021 at 06:42 PM.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote