View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 12:59 PM   #37
cokefirst

Default Re: New baby 1953 Merc

The argument about the correct fluid or the correct oil is something that will never be resolved. I once was the tech editor for a classic ford club. I had the question come up in the early 70's. Not knowing my rear end from a hole in the ground, I contacted an automotive lubricant engineer at Chevron. He gave m all kinds of information on friction modifiers and other technical information that I only partially understood. His bottom line is, that the closest current fluid to Type A, Suffix A is the Dexron fluid. It has been several years since I got the information but it is my understanding that the Dexron II, III, IV etc is till the best fluid to use. Anecdotally, several people have said they use type F and some were Ford garage techs. Type F does not stand for Ford any more than Type A stands for American Motors. It was simply a spec. The only thing I remember from the conversation with the engineer is that the type F allows for a sharper shift due to those friction modifiers. How the work, I have no clue. I use the Dexron in my cars and will continue to do so until I hear from someone with the oils engineering background that there is something better.
cokefirst is offline   Reply With Quote