View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #30
35Rich

Default Re: The 1940 Ford Cutaway

The Rest of the Story: 40 Ford Cutaway Chassis
I congratulate Rick Rennebohm on his magnificent restoration of the above 1940 Ford Cutaway Chassis and also to Ryan on his initial write-up on this piece.Mycorrespondence with Rick R during his restoration dealt mainly with the history of the piece during it’s time at ISU as I was the person who ‘discovered’ it as a significant Ford Motor artifact in 1994 when it was ultimately sold to Dick Pearson.There is however indeed, much that is known about the history of these Cutaway Chassis and why they were built, which I will outline very briefly below.
Based on information in the ‘V8 Times’ the bi-monthly publication of the Early Ford V8 Club of America and also the ‘Famous Ford V-8’s‘ book ( part of a series of books) by Lorin Sorensen, the Ford Motor Company built many of these Cutaways (engines, drive line components, and entire chassis), from Model T days through the early Ford V8 years for use in ‘Ford Mechanic’ schools as training devices.They were also used in various major shows, and also displayed at Ford dealers during the 1930’s. Some of these units migrated to various educational institutions following their usefulness to the Ford Motor Company. In the two sources mentioned above there are at least 20 photos with descriptions of such chassis or cutaway driveline units in the USA (also includes a 1932 Cutaway chassis unit shown in London with RH drive)! Although these Cutaway Chassis are considered ‘rare’ they are in fact well known to ‘Old Ford Guys’ who have an interest in this aspect of Ford Motor Company history.
So, thanks to the efforts of Rick Rennebohm, these beautifully crafted pieces of history are getting the recognition and exposure they deserve!Thanks.
Richard Grieve, President, Iowa Regional Group #145 EFV8 Club of America
35Rich is offline   Reply With Quote