Thread: Old cars
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #29
AnthonyG

Default Re: Old cars

Gotta say the older vehicles R fun. Most of us who have and play with them don't consider it anything but fun. Truth be known Flatty's require more TLC than the dreaded small block. I had a stock 1957 Chev Nomad when I was 16. 283 Power Glide with 80,000 when I bought it. If it wasn't for the brain dead friend, not a mechanic nor was I at the time, telling me the way to make it lay rubber and go really fast was to rev it up in neutral and pull into low. Well it limped home and down the steep hill that was our driveway on what ever was left of the tranny. My Dad was very unhappy to say the least reminded me we were moving in two weeks and said, "IF THAT DAMN CAR DOESN'T MAKE IT UP THAT DRIVE ON IT'S OWN POWER IT GOES WITH THE HOUSE". Well long story short it was the beginning of me becoming a mechanic and eventually a mechanical Engineer. Changed the Power Glide to a 3 speed after befriending & started becoming a motor head myself. Great guys all chipped in junked 3 speed, bell housing, clutch set up all free and helped get it running and up the drive in two weeks to the old mans amazement.
I had that old Nomad till I was 35 and never did another thing to it except change the oil, lube it & flush the coolant for 19 yrs. I thought it got too valuable to keep and needed the money for young family stuff and thought I did great selling it in 1985 for $7500. If u know anything about a stock Nomad's value today ur probably laughing. So I have a soft spot for the old 265, 283 and 327 SB Chevy engines and never criticize them. Love my Flatty but she did't come into my life until I was 63. Having said that IMO Barret-Jackson bidder have more money than brains with the prices they give!
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album....ictureid=31213

Last edited by AnthonyG; 01-23-2019 at 07:15 PM.
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote