View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #31
coupe1942

Default Re: New Model A owner

Instead, you'll end up trying to protect your investment. It would most likely end up being a trailer queen or a garage diamond if a full restoration was done.

Get it running and mechanically sound enough to drive and enjoy. Forget the repairs of dents and dings unless that is just not your cup of tea. If they are on the fenders, then you can replace those with fiberglass ones at a nominal cost If you have a local high school or perhaps a junior college that has a shop, then you can speak to them about letting the students do some body work and paint on the truck. YOu can likely find a hot rodder in your area who may give you a deal on spiffing up the truck with some paint and dent work on the cheap.

Enjoy the truck for what it is. It is a learning experience to drive one, let alone to own one. Get some help as you learn and enjoy the truck as is. Believe me, if you start tearing it apart to "restore" it, your likely to end up with a project car for sale at a later date and never actually learn much about owning one and actually driving it as the norm. If your uncle could do it, then so can you, so don't be intimidated in learning. Find a Model A club or go to a local car show and meet some folk who own a Model A and develop some good relationships for help.

I just got my '30 closed cab 82-B pickup and I'm learning more about it each and every day as I want to get it roadworthy enough to be a dependable daily driver. As said, the old weathered and scuffed up Model A's often get more attention than a spiffy, shined up restoration to begin with. It all adds character and charm. Good luck with it.

One idea to add some spiff to a black pickup is to add some pin stripes to it. That takes the focus off of the solid black and adds some class. You may thing about doing that as an idea before you tackle painting the entire truck.

Last edited by coupe1942; 07-02-2016 at 12:21 PM.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote