View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #23
Napa Skip

Default Re: engine with no oil drain back tube provision?

Let me say up front that - as a registered mechanical engineer - I stand in awe of most (if not all) of Henry Ford's automotive engineering.

However, I removed the oil return pipe on my primary engine (in 1977) and my backup engine (1980) and have run them this way ever since, in daily driving - and otherwise - in Idaho, Washington and California, with no discernible degradation to engine lubrication. In fact - as iconoclastic as this may appear to other Model A owners - I think I can make a case for improved timing gear lubrication without the oil return pipe.

My principal concern with this set up, based on experience with marine diesel, steam turbine and reduction gear lubrication (and land-based power generation lube oil system design) was that there might be excessive foaming. There appears to be none, although I will admit this is difficult to determine.

I will - as a previous FordBarn poster stated - now go off line and wait to be squashed like a bug by others for suggesting such an unorthodox "modification".

Engine - passenger side.jpg

Oil Return Port - detail.jpg
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote