Thread: Club Thinning
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 11:02 PM   #8
sethkestenbaum

Default Re: Club Thinning

Member recruitment should never be a "wait and see who knocks at the door" process. The clubs need to actively recruit high school and college kids as "student members" who aren't currently Model A owners but one day may be and who might want to get their hands dirty learning about the cars. Clubs also need to be active in doing practicals with members and student members on how to fix and maintain the cars. People who don't know how to fix a car are likely intimidated and hesitant to buy a Model A. Most of the club members I know grew up with Model As. This is not a growing demographic. As I once mentioned at a club meeting when we spoke about our club's shrinking size, "most of the clubs are shrinking... and not because members are retiring to Florida." This was followed by a suggestion that the more senior owners try to proactively identify the "next possible owner" of their car and start training them years before the car trades hands.... even if the next owner isn't family and might not eventually buy the car. Just doing things like having a neighbor and his/her kids help change the oil or do maintenance will bring attention to the hobby and create positive experiences. I think things like this, over a long period of time, is what will save the clubs from disappearing. For the record, the 20 year olds LOVE Model As. If you can get them hooked now, they will join the clubs in their mid-30s.