View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 08:42 AM   #4
Corley

Default Re: Dial back inaccurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
what model Honda ?? Recently had timing light problem with MSD ignition on my engine . new light (expensive ) same 4 flashes per revolution , called msd , OH you need our t/light , Mutter mutter , & yes there,s worked , course had to freight from USA.
This is the '78-'81 Honda distributor. It is $24.99 on eBay rebuilt right now, and is self contained electronic, with both centrifugal and vacuum advances. (Can you say CAMO?) I did the machining, and installed it yesterday, and was checking out it's advance curves when I found the dial back issues. By the way, I found about 21 degrees of centrifugal advance, and 10 degrees of vacuum advance in this one. (Had to change the advance springs to get it all in by 2k rpm.)

So, if I set initial timing at about 5 degrees BTDC, it should give me around 36 degrees at cruise, and drop back to about 26 degrees when I put my foot in it. Today I'll give it a run and see how that feels, it might be a bit much. It will also give me about 15 degrees advance at idle, so no over heating in parades and such like with my FSI. So far, Elvira loves it.

PS CAMO - Cheap Ass Model A Owner
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote