View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #107
sgwilson904

Default Re: Who Can Diagnose THIS Total Mystery? Win A Prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Here are a few I don't remember if anything was done. Brent gave a step by step procedure for when if happens as did H. L. Chauvin. Do we know if this was followed? There were a couple of thoughts vapor lock. Was cool water poured on the Carb when it acts up? Was the ground to the engine checked?

We can get this!!!
Well said, fellow Floridian...and I greatly appreciate you and the others hanging in there when it is so tempting to give up.

First, having checked the fuel tank, the filters, etc, including draining the tank and cleaning/replacing all filters, I do believe (as Ray Horton suggested back in Post #25) that it is NOT a fuel problem but something electrical and, as Ray and others suggest, most likely SOMETHING in my distributor.

So, here's my plan:

The easiest, first thing is to replace the entire distributor and cap with one known to be in perfect working shape. (Somebody here in the club must have one I can borrow.) I'll take the old one out, put the new one in and go for a long drive. If that solves the problem, I'll rebuild my own distributor with a new plate, new points, new wire, new condenser because ONE of those was the problem, right?

If the replacement distributor doesn't resolve the problem, I will then also replace my new coil with another known-to-be-working and see if that ends my trouble.

I'll also check the fuse plate because that's a very easy thing to look at and maybe even remove if there's any signs of trouble that some of you pointed out.

And if THAT doesn't work? I'll push it over a cliff! No, wait, there ARE no cliffs in Florida. Okay, THEN I'll start with the great diagnostics suggested by Brent, H.L. and others, one by one.

Reasonable? Other ideas?

Last edited by sgwilson904; 01-28-2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
sgwilson904 is offline   Reply With Quote