View Single Post
Old 11-23-2018, 12:34 AM   #14
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Car died 2 blocks from home.

The thing that caught my eye is that you said it died after making a turn, which immediately led me to suspect your battery might be shorting out on turns. But another thing that can cause the engine to die on a turn is if your carburetor float needle gets temporarily stuck open by some sediment. That will cause your float bowl to fill up to high, spill over and flood out your engine, killing it.
Don't know if you have the Holley 2100, Ford EBU 2bbl, or the 4bbl teapot. I know it can happen with both the 2bbl carbs they offered then and also the Holley 1904 used with the 223 I-block 6 is susceptible. Not sure if the teapot has this problem.
I personally would not hesitate to take off the air-horn of the carb, blow out the float needle with spray carb cleaner and check the float setting. Last time I did it, took me less than 15 minutes. But that is just me. If you are mechanically minded, these cars are great to learn with. A shop manual is always helpful and you can get more detailed rebuilding literature for your specific carb from oldcarmanualproject on the internet.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote