View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 05:59 AM   #17
GOSFAST

Default Re: Potvin 3/8 cam specs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
As I have said, people differ in what they can tolerate and some might like the Potvin 3/8 but is a poor choice for low speed street driving when compared to other available choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Hey Gary - how many cubic inches is the engine, what trans, what rear and what car? This is a really good cam for a lot of situations (especially around a 276 cube engine) - am wondering what the situation is that you're dealing with?
Hi Dale, it's for the exact reasoning that John posted above here that I say the cam is wrong for this unit. It is a stroker but I have no idea of the other "important" specs (trans, gears, tire hgt, etc.) about the ride itself as of today. Waiting to meet the owner.

Let me explain where I am on this build now. I "inherited" the job from another shop who isn't able to finish it. Haven't even met the owner of the ride yet. I am told by the shop's owner that it is a '48 Ford (four-door) that will be used for driving "around town" more than anything else. My understanding is the owner chose ALL the components WITH the help of the vendor who sold him almost all the parts.

With what I have he will be well over 100# spring seat pressure alone on the springs. There's many incompatible pieces here. I have a set of valves (correct OEM length's) with the keeper grooves "down" .400" instead of the normal .250" and a set of 185-G Isky's. Some "not-so-good" choices here, will explain some more when I get to meet the owner and get his side of the story.

I was very surprised by many of these components I received, especially knowing that the vendor had a hand in helping put the pkge together. If anyone tried to order this here I would have taken the time to explain why there were better alternatives.

(Add) One other item I received in the parts pkge and refuse to even consider using here is a set of Aluminum valve spring retainers, this would NEVER happen here! If any customer wants "special" spring retainers I keep L/W "tool-steel's" on the shelf for the Flatheads along with conventional OEM "steel" and Comp Cams "Chromemoly's".

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. With John's post above I couldn't agree more and it's why I stated in my first post about the cam being not the best choice here. I have found over time that the Isky "88" cam to be one of the best all-around ones for enjoying the ride and having the "sound" AND making nice power in a very comfortable power range. Generally speaking in a "light" ride with a larger unit you can get by with more ".050" duration, in a "heavy" ride you need to pay closer attention to the cam choice, more so in a "daily" driver, an "around-town" ride so to speak.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote