View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 05:28 AM   #17
updraught

Default Re: Assembly plant vs manufacture plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
updraught, thanks for sending the link. I had to laugh when I read "Ford pioneered the production line, so it's little surprise each factory was a 'cookie cutter' design. That even meant Australian plants had roof beams designed to handle six-feet of snow so required in Detroit." I worked for LAPD for almost 10 years, they built a new vehicle maintenance facility at the Wilshire Division. It was nice except for he fact that you couldn't close the door with a car on the lift. So ... they built 3 more shops to the same spec, and had to modify each one to be workable! We Yanks don't seem to learn from history!
Reported in more recent times:
"Industry sources said Aldi planned to build a 50,000 square metre distribution centre at the site, its second in NSW, and was now shopping for a builder.
.... The specifications for the new facility will be interesting. Some of the features in Aldi's enormous purpose-built distribution centre at Derrimut in Melbourne's west raised eyebrows - particularly the roof, which it built to withstand six metres of snow."

1930 Ford dealer here on the left
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...23810251016580
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote