View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 07:01 PM   #11
ursus

Default Re: 4 cylinder dist rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
ursus,

With respect, it was not a quirk, but rather intentional as the hole was covered for a reason, namely to avoid excess oil from getting on the shaft and possibly working its way upward with the rotation of the shaft and fouling the points. That upper bushing was not an ordinary solid brass bushing, but rather was porous to feed the shaft oil very slowly. The same special material was also used for the bushing on the front of the shaft in V8 distributors.

If you replace the upper bushing with one made of solid material you will most certainly starve the upper shaft of lubricant.
That is interesting and it is true that every distributor I have seen with a blocked oil passage was also fitted with bushings of the dimpled Oilight type, which was designed for the application you describe. I have also see a couple distributors with an open passage that appeared to be made that way but I don't recall the bushing type.

My disconnect on this is: 1) why did they bother to install an oiler cap if there was no passage to the shaft? and, 2) why does the situation of oil moving up to foul the points not seem to be an issue on the Model-A distributor, which has the same design and would otherwise have the same potential for this problem?
I have never seen a Model A distributor have this problem so why would it be an issue with the Model B version. Just trying to understand this conundrum...
ursus is online now   Reply With Quote