View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #20
blucar

Default Re: 35-36 Ford coupe anomaly

There has been some very good info about the subject of 35-36 spare tire covers/mounts by the various contributors. However, the main crux of the subject is correctness. The competition for correctness at the car shows is very intense, getting down in some cases to the style of valve caps on the tubes.
A friend of mine lost out on a first place trophy a few years ago on his '47 convert because the valve caps on his car were deemed to be incorrect for a '47 Ford.
I have reviewed the line drawings in the 35-36 Ford Book several times and have come to the conclusion that the '36 Cabriolet' , Model 760 and the '36 5 window, Model 770 use a tire mount that moves the wheel away from the body. Reputedly that is 68-1433-B, however, 1433-B is also the mount that is shown for all models 710, 720, 760, 770.
The difference in the position of the tire in relationship to the body is due to the rumble seat, which appears to be standard equipment on a Cabriolet and Roadsters in '35-36. The '35-36 open cars, model 710 & 760 do not have a tire that is positioned the same as the '36.
There is a strong possibility that the factory installed the "taller" mount on all '36 770 models due to the fact that most rumble seats were dealer installed.
The 35 model 720 & 770 do not show the spare tire positioned away from the body where-as both cars for '36 show the tire mounted away from the body.
My questions about the "August" cover have some credence to a judging issue. If the cover is in fact a Standard cover, then it is only correct for a Standard car built in August of '36. If the cover is just a special end of the year item, possibly intended for use on a '37 slant back, station wagon, then it is correct for any 36 model, providing it was built in August or later of '36.