View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 02:19 PM   #10
blucar

Default Re: 35-36 Ford coupe anomaly

I have always found it to be very interesting that the 35-36 Ford Book describes the tire cover I have referred to, August 36, as being a 1936 Standard wheel cover. The article on page 23 of the 35-36 book goes on to explain that the cover came out in late '36.. I assume late means August '36.
I have taken exception to the Standard phrase for the past thirty plus years because my car is a August '36 car, built during the last 300 + cars. I am the second owner of the car having purchased it in September 1952. It had the August cover and mount on it when I bought the car, it also had the correct mount on the body, the wheel is a normal 36 wheel with a 600 x 16 tire.
In the 65 years that I have had my '36 I have only seen four of the August covers, the one on my car, the two extra covers I have gathered up through the years and one I saw on a car in Salt Lake City on State Street in 1954.
I guess it is possible that the original owner of my car saw the August cover on a car in the dealers showroom and just had to have it on his car. Times were still quite tough in 1936, therefore the salesman/dealer might have figured "a bird in the hand is better than one in the bush".
My car is a deluxe car that has just about every accessory offered by Ford on it, only been repainted once and has all of it's original upholstery. Apparently the car did not have a heater of any kind until the '39 Ford hot water heater was installed, I would guess sometime in '39.

Last edited by blucar; 08-31-2017 at 02:25 PM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote