View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 04:26 AM   #15
hardtimes

Default Re: How to decide when to throw in the towel?

Hey Model A Fan,
IMO, you have 'more like' for wood than metal/mechanics, but the two can be blended,eh ! I would move the heck out of that 300 inches of rain a year area...first !
Seriously, I were you , I'd think of protecting the parts by either hanging them from rafters, storing them on walls and / or get a weather tight container to store parts in. Make a plan and write it down. Work ONE part at a time until it is done to YOUR satisfaction, then store it and go down your written list checking off each item until all are done ! Do not look at the overall project as all at once job. Your young and even if it takes years (mine did) you will be surprised when all of the done stuff starts to go together ! Hey, it's a project, a hobby...not a job ! Stay with a part until tired/frustrated, then go do wood work or enjoy family, repair home/whatever ! Get organized. Here in sunny socal,(aka-lalaland) where it never rains , I had parts of my '30 roadster all over the property.
NO welder, NO engine lift, NO hoist, NO special tools and NO help ! Other than farming out engine machine work (four banger), I did most stuff myself starting in 2002. I'm a driver, so ended up with a driver to my satisfaction ! Sanded by hand and wire brush and with home made sand blaster. Study each part, read books on subject and ask a lot of questions and ignore any criticism ! Years after start, when putting things together and seeing progress, I just dug in harder when 'free' time came.

I was already old when got my pile of parts, you are young and your pile of parts are paid for, so IMO hard part is done and you will not later regret getting rid of some thing that you , at one time , obviously wanted ! I can tell you many (sob) stories about how 'life got in the way' along the thorny path that some have as life. But, the strong willed survive. And, you may never have chance to have a roadster again. Mechanics may not be easiest thing to learn, but mechanics and mechanical aptitude can be learned. Doesn't happen by osmosis. I'm not a 'joiner', but advise to join a club and use accumulated knowledge/resources (tool loans,etc) to learn. You don't have to rat rod or hot rod a Model A roadster to have a great fun driver with four cylinders. I can/will send you pictures, if desired, to show you such a roadster. I started out restoring and just went with what I liked. Good luck to you which ever way you go
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote