View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 02:11 AM   #12
Model A Fan

Default Re: How to decide when to throw in the towel?

I think what the main problem is for me is that I have grown weary of the roadster just sitting in my garage. I haven't been able to pull the car out of the garage to air it out and clean around it in over a year. I went to a Law Enforcement training facility for most of the summer and got back and was thrown back into work without much pause for respite or relaxation. Another large contributing factor is the weather here. It never fails that when I have a day off, it is raining or just plain nasty and it makes it unpleasant to be outside. I don't have a fully insulated garage, nor do I have a heater in it.

I am alright at working on cars, but most of my experience is pulling them apart and just replacing a part (I did my alternator in the Home Depot parking lot on my TDI wagon), I've done radiators on my Jeep and my Dad's, clutch cable for my girlfriend's car and the list goes on. Nothing complicated, but definitely stuff that requires an aptitude. What the case may be is that I am less than comfortable pulling parts of the engine itself apart and have stalled and put it off from my list of things to do.

I have three or four Model A engines in my 1 car garage along with a '36 or '37 flathead. I have so many different directions this project can go, I just need to hone in on it and knock out parts at a time. I guess the phrase, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time..." applies here. I got into Model A's to make a jalopy hot rod type car and not to restore it. However, I don't want a rat rod. They are just too tacky and lack the class of an old school banger hot rod.

I am more comfortable working with wood than an engine, but my space is limited, so I just decide on doing neither. I would love to have a large shop on a nice piece of land, however, I am sort of in between being able to purchase land and renting. I can afford the rent easily, but making the leap to property/home ownership is a large step, one which for me causes me much reticence.

I appreciate everyone's input. I fancied myself being more "restoration inclined" and taking a project from zero to hero and now find myself "restoration disinterested" and would rather have a cool farm truck or putt putt around town car. Financially I could have both now as I can afford a truck, but space-wise and time-wise, it might be impractical. Come this weekend, I may purchase one of those covered car port things from Harbor Freight so I can pull stuff into my driveway while the weather isn't so great. There is a little sadness to the situation as I wanted to be able to prove to myself that something like this was possible and it is depressing to think that I'd rather get rid of the project, face failure, and move on.

Anyway, thanks for the words of encouragement.
Model A Fan is offline   Reply With Quote