View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
whizzernick

Default Re: 34 Dearborn Blue

Dearborn blue is very dark. I tried to match with a DuPont expert in the 1970s. I had an original color sample from an original car. The color as we were matching it in acrylic lacquer(the type of paint to use at the time )we found to get the color matching and dark enough it had too much red in it. You add green to kill red. We added so much green that the color still blue and matching. Was green if you spread it out thin. I painted the car the color was was perfect. Only real problem was if it oxidize just a little it became a kind of purple. This color we made back then 1970s. Is the closest I've ever seen to the original. The colors that we have now are not necessarily made from pigments as the old paint was. A lot of dies are used now and the colors change depending on which way you look at them. Look at some modern colors and you will see they change lighter or darker if you look at them from 90° or 45°. Nothing we can do about it now just pick the color you like the best and go for it.
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote