View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #1006
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
This follows story number 1006, do please read that first.
Inequities of electoral areas.

I spoke in the previous story about inequities of electoral boundaries or more so the size of electorates which makes them inequitable. Our largest is the electorate of Durack with boundaries in the far north of Western Australia and stretches to near the south of Western Australia. It is some 630,000 square miles which is comparable to the size of Alaska and has a population of less than 100,000. When I lived in Durack in the late 60’s the member lived in Kalgoorlie in the south. To visit him one would fly to Perth in the new Fokker Friendship (9 hours) with several stops enroute, stay overnight and catch the DC3 to Kalgoorlie the following morning.
More to the point is the inequities for voters. 80% of Australia's population live in coastal regions in their many and small electorates and that gives them political power. Do corellas bother them? No and corellas are only one of many issues.
Our federal electorate is Farrer and is 49,000 square miles with a population of 115,000. Our largest city is Albury with a population of 49,000 (43% of electorate) which gives them more authority than the small number of farmers and grazers, who are economically important yet politically insignificant.
This one person / one vote. Sounds equitable doesn’t it? But is it? Ask any voter living in Durack for an opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Unknown-1.jpeg (7.3 KB, 6 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 02-28-2021 at 02:57 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote