View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 11:42 PM   #6
williamsummers

Default Re: 51 Ford car power steering conversion?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
I understand the 51 chassis is different than even the 49 and 50's,and I have seen an add at a aftermarket supplier of PS swaps for 52 and 53 Fords and Mercs,but no 51's.

I have personally seen a power rack and pinion setup on a 50,but that was several years ago and the car had a 302 in it. The power rack and pinion seems like a possible way to go if I can figure out how to drive the PS pump.

My 51 Victoria is all stock except for the aluminum radiator,right down to the FOM trans,and I'd like to keep it as close to stock as possible. The problem seems to be shoeboxes with the V-8 just don't have enough clearance for a ps box due to the exhaust manifolds.

Chances are I will just sell the damn thing to a restorer,though. My 51 club coupe has a 3 carb flat 6 with a finned aluminum head in it and is going to have mild custom touches,the "wrong" paint,and the "wrong" wheels and tires anyhow,and since it has the flat 6 I know where I can buy a PS box that will work with it.

Was really hoping to be able to drive the car a while longer and enjoy it some before selling it,but if I can't drive it,it is nothing more than a big pile of expensive junk sitting in my yard.

Please don't sell this rare piece. There may be people who look to buy it, but you will lose a valuable one. These are very trending now. If you can convert it to power steering, then it would be great. I, obviously, have some ideas but, I don't think it will help you with this 51 piece. Can you please share the images of your car?
williamsummers is offline   Reply With Quote