View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #99
Bolts

Default Re: Tell me this noise isn't what I'm afraid it is.

Craig, how big are the biggest chunks and are they steel or aluminum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
I struck out on all of my attempts to get my engine fixed in my state (my previous builder no longer responded to my emails nor phone messages) so I turned my attention away from Old Henry and got my favorite motorcycle running and insured again and was quite content with driving that with Pepe aboard for the foreseeable future. Then I realized that I was overdue for the monthly trip I take with my dad, who bought the car for $100 in 1959, and how much he enjoyed it and would miss it. So, I was just about to haul the car to Colorado for the cooch to fix it for me as he'd offered. Then, just as I was about to finalize that deal I had the thought to dig out my old Early Ford V8 Club roster and call some members in town to see if there wasn't someone local who did flathead engines. Sure enough, the first guy that answered my call knew just who and I delivered the car to him yesterday and he started to remove the engine today. Hope it works out OK. I expect that it will and I'll have Old Henry back on the road again soon if for nothing else than to take my dad on his monthly trip.

Checked in today and he had the engine out of the car and the oil pan and clutch off. Here's a picture of the oil pan showing the bad news indicators in there:

I just reached under the engine the was hanging on the hoist and grabbed the #1 piston connecting rod end and there was plenty of play in it so that's where I expect we're going to find the wear.

I was also curious about the condition of my flywheel and clutch that had been chattering since I turned the flywheel and replaced the clutch with one from Mac VanPelt just in April, 6,000 miles ago. As you can see, the flywheel is burned again.

And so is the pressure plate.

And the clutch disc is already worn down to the rivets in several places.

So, I'll have the flywheel turned again and am sending the clutch to Fort Wayne Clutch today for replacement. Hope that all of that gets rid of the clutch chatter once and for all. It has been so annoying.

When Paul (who's now working on my engine) gets it on a stand and turned over and the connecting rods removed I'll get some more pictures to share of the actual damage.

Of course, the big question will be, what caused the damage in just 50,000 miles and how to prevent it in the future.