Thread: Model B engine
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #7
Joe K

Default Re: Model B engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Many a Model B engine has been stamped with a Model A or AA engine number by individuals that installed such an engine in their car or truck.
There are few "unmarked" Model A engines out there. I have one of them. (Its red and I'm assuming its an Allstate replacement from the 1950s.)

There are a few more "ground down" Model A engines down there.

Probably most of the above have been re-marked somehow, either in a frame number (hard to tell from original), a vendor number, or the birthdate of the owner.

There are less Model B engines of either of these ilk, with the smallest number of any a re-marked Model B.

But no doubt on what you say. An owner might have possibly secured an unmarked, unground Model B engine, had it appropriately made to match his chassis assuming he could access and ascertain the chassis number, and incorporated it into his car simply to claim "I have a factory original Model B engine."

However, I expect you will think this remote. Most in the 1930s & 40s who sought a replacement engine would seek out a Model B and slap it in as a "better" engine than original. Engines were cheap, labor to even change out shims was expensive, and an engine could be bought and swapped cheaper than doing a shim job right.

It makes for interesting sales copy or bragging right to claim it "original."

And given the oral histories that accumulate upon automobiles, I can certainly agree to the claim with a "How do you know this?" And not to then dispute the claim no matter the reason given.

Sometimes you just go with the flow.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 07-13-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote