View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 03:19 AM   #31
Hotrodfil

Default Re: Close ratio gears

Number crunching.
Been looking at the results from Prescott hillclimb online and doing some online calcs.

Oh yes. Sensibly (not) I seem to build cars with no gauges. Saves all that worrying looking down at the dashboard. Cane it till it bursts and change up. Thought I'd work out the revs the poor old dear was doing as she flapped her skirts under the bridge at Prescott.

44mph, 1.55:1 second gear, 3.27 final drive, 29.8" tyres - 2514 rpm. Hmmm - sounded like more! Tailed off a little - it felt like there was more but didn't want to burst it!

Driving along the Buckingham bypass on the way home and opened her up a bit...

68mph (sat nav), 1:1 top gear - 2507 rpm. Bottom screen rattled loose (hadn't tightened it up after taking the top screen out at the track), blew innards and plunged cold air onto my tootsies, so we backed off a bit.

Rolling along easily most of the time around 55-60mph and it turns out the ol' banger is turning between 2000-2200 rpm which is reasonable for a babbit bottom end.

More than chuffed. Winter time will hopefully see a full pressure shell bottom end model-A engine under the bonnet as a comparison.
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote