View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #19
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 1937 Ford coupe. Bill of sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioletgalaxie View Post
Still looking for the matching engine numbers for this '37 coupe bill of sale but I'm still hopeful.
Your post refer to engine number, you may already know this, but early Fords do not have engine numbers, as in a number on the engine itself. The serial numbers were assigned to the transmissions. Then later in the assembly process the transmission is mated with an engine assembly. At a still later date in time the engine/transmission assemble is installed in a frame and the transmission number is added to the frame. As most flathead engines have been rebuilt at least once and often as an exchange, it is difficult to know what engine is in a current vehicle versus what was in it when it left the factory. Transmission also can be changed out over the years, so the frame number is what is going to be a match. Or a transmission might still exist with the number, but no why to tie it to an engine that I am aware of. To my mind, the frame number would be most closely associated with the original vehicle and a bill of sale.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote