View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #28
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Default Re: James Rogers, Brent, Purdy, etc...question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR500 View Post
Herm, One of the align bore fixtures I have is an old Ammco. Lempco also produced one of these. The fixture uses a false camshaft which you install in the A block and it has two equally distanced swing arms which rotate on the false camshaft and lock onto your boring bar in the fixture to establish the cam to crank center line distance. What is your opinion of these fixtures?
If not worn, there is nothing wrong with the Bars or the fixtures, if after you set the fixtures, you check and zero the center distance, or Gear lash.

The things that make a (fixed) center distance not work are, Difference in blocks, wear in cam holes, and a large difference in cam gears and main bolt holes, as they are NOT all the same.

You can get exact center distance, and gear mesh using a Dial.

I lock the cam and what ever gears I use, and leave what ever crank gear loose, and check at 4 points.

They will all be different.

In the case of Dan's gears, he wants .005 at the largest, so that is where I set his at.

A cast gear and fiber has a different setting, and so on, with all the other kinds of gears that I try not to use.

This I use to get an exact setting for a cast crank gear and a fiber cam gear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Align Bore Set Up 001.jpg (37.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Align Bore Set Up 003.jpg (31.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Align Bore Set Up 002.jpg (39.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Align Bore Set Up 006.jpg (53.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Align Bore Set Up 007.jpg (50.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Align Bore Set Up 009.jpg (39.6 KB, 45 views)
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote