View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #12
smtichy

Default Re: Y-block 292 Timing question

Pardon my dragging out this post, but I took the car out for a good drive today, slower speeds, with some starts and stops, plus hotter weather. Note I have a manual transmission, and I noticed that in 1st it would loose considerable power, almost stutter, at higher rpms, and backfire more letting off the throttle in mid-range speed in 2nd. I'm assuming I might need to back the advance off a bit. Any thoughts are appreciated. [It might be the timing on the car was fine as it was , oh well that's how you learn].

Ole Don, I grew up in Nebraska and remember back in the late 80's we too were running 10% ethanol. The higher octane from the ethanol sure squeezed more power out of the Ford turbo 4 banger I had in those days.

Also Ole Don, coincidentally my car had a mystery toggle switch below the steering wheel that some "mekeniks" installed. I traced it to an electric fuel pump that is mounted on the frame by the rear axle, but seems to be frozen-up and non-functional. It's been Ziebarted over so I haven't been able to figure out what era it came from but I think it was before a general restoration done on the car in the 80's. Surprisingly the non functioning pump doesn't seem to obstruct the fuel line (ie. same situation as you have).

BTW, I'm sure I don't need to tell you all this but never Ziebart a classic car, it makes a nice sticky mess to manipulate around!

'55 Sunliner - 292 V8, 3 speed man. w/ OD
ČKMAA - Český klub majitelů amerických automobilů

Last edited by smtichy; 05-26-2014 at 04:31 AM. Reason: fix'd mizpelln'
smtichy is offline   Reply With Quote