View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #1600
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Hi Bill, First, I will admit that I don't have the expertise that G.M. has, nor do I poses his fabrication ability. I do however tend to seek out the simplest (read easiest) way to solve a problem. I have a top oiler installed on the '39 CS, which, in addition to supplying MMO to the valves, also elevated the carb. I left the push rod in place, as I have done on other Flatheads that I installed electric fuel pumps on. I mounted the electric fuel pump, additional fuel filter, and pressure regulator on the rear cross member. I also insulated the fuel line from the pressure regulator to where it goes inside the frame rail, because the car has dual exhaust. I should mention that I also installed a "kill switch", for the fuel pump, under the dash just incase I ever need to intentionally halt the flow of fuel. The modification has worked wonders for the car, she has been running extremely well, in fact, I drove her up to the Saturday "Hot Rod Breakfast" (some sixty miles each way) mostly on open highway. She ran at 170 degrees, responded effortlessly to increased pressure on the gas peddle and fired right up after sitting in a hot parking lot. It may not be the end all solution where Vapor Lock is concerned, but it sure is working for the '39 CS.

Here's a shot of me following Don on the way home after the Breakfast.

The only drawback was that this is Love Bug season and by the time I got home, the front of the '39 CS was covered in dead bugs...

A little Simple Green and some scrubbing washed the bugs away...

It sure has been a joy to drive the '39 CS with the electric fuel pump installed, so much so that I think we may drive her up the East Coast this Fall...

Last edited by Vic Piano; 05-11-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Vic Piano is offline   Reply With Quote